Sep 23, 2023
Admissions Requirements | Academic Standing | Advising Roadmap
The Nutritional Science Spartan Accelerated Graduate Education (SAGE) Scholars Program is designed to meet the needs of the student who is working towards a baccalaureate degree and seeks advanced preparation in nutrition science, nutrition education, geriatric nutrition, and foodservice/restaurant management. The program is intended to prepare candidates to assume leadership roles in their profession and communities and to provide the opportunity to acquire a foundation for doctoral study.
- Be enrolled in or have completed the undergraduate Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (100W (WID) /GWAR prior to admission into the SAGE Scholars program);
- Successfully completed a minimum of 60 Nutritional Science BS applicable units and not more than 120 undergraduate degree applicable units at the time of admission in the program;
- Completed NUFS 106A and NUFS 100W with grades of “C” or better;
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA at time of admission. GPA is calculated by the last 60 semester (or 90 quarter) units taken or a student’s cumulative GPA, whichever is higher; and,
- Completed all lower-division work (designated 1-99, including lower-division general education courses and American Institutions courses).
- Students may apply for the master’s program at that point like any other non-SAGE Scholars applicant, which would require achieving the department minimum for the general GRE.
The following roadmap is a sample advising map to complete the SAGE Scholars program in 5 years. Please consult your MyPlanner and major advisor as you develop your individualized academic plan. Students must have completed 60+ units in order to enroll in SJSU Studies courses.
Year 1 | Year 2 | Year 3 | Year 4 | Year 5
Spring Semester (15 units)
Spring Semester (14 units)
Spring Semester (17 units)
Fall Semester (14 units)
Student admitted to BS + MS program.
Spring Semester (16 units)
Fall Semester (9 units)
BS/BA degree posted.
Spring Semester (9 units)
This major requires an International Experience, please consult your major advisor regarding course requirement.
* NUFS 106A requires passage of WST Exam and co-enrollment or completion of NUFS 100W , NUFS 31 .
** NUFS 139 and NUFS 144 meet 6 units of SJSU Studies requirements; can be double counted in the major and for SJSU Studies Areas S and V; requires passage of WST.
The standalone BS Nutritional Science, Food Management Concentration program requires the completion of NUFS 113, 114A, and 190. The Nutritional Science MS program requires 9 units of courses in a Specialization Area. Students satisfy these courses in this SAGE Scholars Program by completing NUFS 113, 114A, and 190. These 9 credits are considered to count toward both the graduate and undergraduate degrees, thus allowing SAGE students to meet the minimum unit requirements for both degrees.