The California Promise is a program established through California Senate Bill 412 to facilitate graduation in four years for freshmen, and two years for transfer students.
Please see the California Promise Frequently Asked Questions section for more information.
What are the benefits of participating in the California Promise Program?
- Advising specific to graduating in four years for frosh; two years for transfers
- Early registration time within their registration group (Example: Juniors in the California Promise Program are assigned registration times before other juniors.)
- On time completion of your degree can save you at least $30,000.
- The cost of attendance for a year at SJSU (living on campus or off campus) is estimated at $30,000 - which includes tuition and fees, books and supplies, living expenses, personal/miscellaneous funds, and transportation.
- More information can be found on SJSU’s Financial Aid and Scholarships website.
Who is eligible to participate?
Students eligible to join the California Promise Program include frosh or transfers who started in Fall 2017 or later, are a California resident for purposes of in-state tuition eligibility, indicated their interest in the California Promise Program on their Cal State Apply application, have a completed Associates Degree for Transfer (ADT - for Transfer Students), and are part of 1 or more special populations listed in California Senate Bill 412. Students must sign the Pledge form for the California Promise Program their first term at SJSU.
All other SJSU students should see SJSU’s MyGPS: Graduation Path to Success program. MyGPS has a suite of advising tools to help all enrolled students stay on track for graduation and to help incoming frosh Finish in 4 and incoming Transfers Take 2.
What are the requirements?
Once enrolled in the California Promise program, you must satisfy the requirements for continued enrollment in the Program:
- Have a four-year or two-year degree plan in MyPlanner completed by the end of your first term at SJSU.
- Successfully complete 30 units towards your degree every academic year at SJSU (this includes Winter and Summer sessions at SJSU).
- Complete your degree program within four years if you are a freshman, or two years if you are a transfer, beginning with the first term of enrollment.
- Maintain good academic standing, a GPA of 2.0 or above at SJSU.
- Complete all required courses on the first attempt with the minimum grade requirements for your major, including minimum grade requirements for prerequisites (check the catalog).
- Remain in your admitted major. If you apply to change majors, you must receive approval from the California Promise advisor in the college of your new major verifying that the change of major will allow you to graduate in four years from your first term of enrollment as a freshman or two years from your first term of enrollment as a transfer student.
- Register for classes during your assigned California Promise priority registration window (within the first 24 hours of your registration appointment) and pay fees by the required deadlines.
- Address (clear) any registration holds prior to your assigned registration window.
- Take required classes when they are offered, regardless of scheduling time.
Want to join the California Promise Program?
Eligible incoming frosh and transfer students who are California residents for tuition purposes (this includes CA Dream Act students) at the beginning of their first term at SJSU will be invited to join the California Promise Program.
There is a two-step process to join:
- Complete the Pledge Form to opt in to the program through the “To Do List” task on your MySJSU. The Pledge Form will be placed on eligible students “To Do List” about a week before classes begin for each respective term (Fall or Spring).
- Set up a four-year plan (freshmen) or a two-year plan (transfers) in MyPlanner by the end of your first term at SJSU.
How to opt-in to SJSU’s California Promise Program?
All eligible incoming California resident (for tuition purposes) frosh and transfer students are invited to join California Promise through a task on the “To Do List” located on MySJSU.
Eligible incoming students should look for a message on their MySJSU account in Mid-August for fall admits and Mid-January for spring admits about a new assigned task on their “To Do List” for California Promise.
You must have a four-year or two-year degree plan on MyPlanner by the end of your first term at SJSU to remain eligible for the California Promise Program. If you have questions about how to create your four-year or two-year degree plan in MyPlanner, contact your college success center.
Please include your name, SJSU ID, and major in a message to email@example.com.