Admissions Requirements | Graduate Standing Requirements | Advising Roadmap
This Spartan Accelerated Graduate Education (SAGE) Scholars Program allows students in Liberal Studies, Preparation for Teaching, BA to simultaneously complete the requirements for the Baccalaureate, Education Specialist Credential (Mild/Moderate) and Special Education, MA. Students can progress from undergraduate to graduate status seamlessly, with a simplified application process and no application fee. They complete all degrees in less time as compared to completing them separately. Graduates of this program develop the knowledge and skills necessary to creatively meet the learning needs of students from Kindergarten through age 22 who have disabilities requiring mild, moderate, or extensive support. They most often work in school and/or residential settings.
For more information, contact the Program Advisor Erica Colmenares.
Most native and transfer students will become eligible to apply for the SAGE Scholars program in the Fall semester of Year 3 and enter the pathway during the Spring semester of Year 3. Applications will be processed by the Department of Special Education and without an application fee. Students will not need to apply formally for graduate admission if accepted into this program. to be eligible:
- Students must have successfully completed a minimum of 60 undergraduate degree applicable units and not more than 120 undergraduate degree applicable units at the time of program;
- Students must have completed the undergraduate Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) prior to admission into the program;
- Students must have a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA at time of admission. GPA is calculated by the last 60 semester (or 90 quarter) units taken or a student’s cumulative GPA, whichever is higher Note that this is a higher GPA standard than other SAGE Scholars programs; and,
- Students must meet the Special Education, MA and Education Specialist Credential admissions requirements.
Students who have reached up to their first semester as classified seniors will remain eligible for entry into the SAGE program. Second semester, senior-level students enrolled in the term they expect to graduate from their baccalaureate degree are not eligible to enter into the SAGE program as these students will not gain the accelerated graduate-level benefit offered through the SAGE blended program option.
Graduate Standing Requirements
Continuation requirements: SAGE Scholars must meet the same requirements to remain in the undergraduate and graduate programs as students in traditional pathways. Requirements for program continuation and advancement to candidacy in the graduate program, include:
- Complete successfully 9 units of graduate coursework in the Special Education program;
- Maintain GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Demonstrate aptitude for advanced work in professional education as measured by instructor appraisals, evaluation of previous academic work, recommendation by qualified professionals, or other assessments;
- Meet with a graduate advisor to plan a formal course of study. The MA degree-approved programs are individually designed to meet specific student objectives;
- To enter student teaching, students must have completed the Elementary Subject Matter requirements (CSETs or ESM waiver requirements);
- To convert to graduate status, students must have completed their 45 hours of pre-professional service;
- To convert to graduate status, students must have completed all lower-division (including lower-division general education courses and American Institutions courses) and SJSU Studies requirements; and,
- The proposed graduate program must be approved by the graduate coordinator before the student may be considered a candidate for the MA degree.
Graduation Requirements: SAGE Scholars must meet the same undergraduate graduation requirements as all Liberal Studies Teacher Preparation majors, including University and GE requirements, to be conferred the BA. As graduate students, SAGE Scholars students must meet all current graduate program requirements. Upon completion of the credential requirements, students must have achieved an SJSU cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in their graduate work order to be recommended for a credential.
The following roadmap is a sample advising map to complete the SAGE Scholars program in 5 years. Please consult your major advisor as you develop your individualized academic plan. Students must have completed 60+ units in order to enroll in SJSU Studies courses.
Year 1 | Year 2 | Year 3 | Year 4 | Year 5