2021-2022 Academic Catalog
Nursing, Integrated Community College Pathway, BS
Dual Admission Program Between SJSU and Evergreen Valley Community College
The Nursing, Integrated Community College Pathway, BS (ICCP) is a joint program between Evergreen Valley Community College (EVCC) and The Valley Foundation School of Nursing in which students are concurrently enrolled in both. The ICCP program allows students to complete an Associate Degree in Nursing, apply and sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Nurses (NCLEX-RN), and complete post licensure nursing content and upper general education courses to earn a BS Nursing.
Summary of Degree Units
|University Graduation Requirements
|EVC Lower Division Transfer Units
|NCLEX - RN Examination
Students enrolled in the Community College Pathway follow the Nursing, Integrated Community College Pathway, BS roadmap designed to satisfy the Associate Degree in Nursing from EVC and the Nursing BS requirements in 5 semesters or 4.5 years (only 3 years of enrollment at SJSU).
- Semesters one and two require the students to take one nursing course at SJSU and 9 units of the EVCC Associate Degree in Nursing Program.
- Semester three requires the students to take two SJSU courses (one SJSU nursing course and one SJSU elective course), and 9 units of the EVCC Associate Degree in Nursing Program.
- Semester four requires the students to take one SJSU Upper Division GE Course (Area R or V), and 9 units of the EVCC Associate Degree in Nursing Program.
- Students completing semester four will apply and pass the NCLEX-RN examination before entering into the final semester of the ICCP program.
- Semester five continues with only SJSU course. Five courses in both nursing and Upper Division GE (Area R or V), and will complete any other remaining Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements .
Failure to Progress
The ICCP program is a rigorous curriculum that will require strict criterion for participation. For students who enter the program the following criteria has been agreed upon.
- Students who fall out of progression within the Associate Degree Program will defer to EVCC’s progression and disqualification policies. Students who are disqualified from EVCC are automatically disqualified from SJSU’s ICCP program.
- Student who do not pass the NCLEX-RN examination during the interim semester will have the option to move out of the ICCP program and into the existing Nursing, RN to BSN Concentration, BS program at SJSU when licensure is obtained. The impact to the student may include additional semesters of course work depending on when the student obtains licensure.
- Students who fail any SJSU nursing courses during semesters 1 thru 4 of the ICCP program will be moved into the existing regular EVCC program and removed from the ICCP program pathway. Students can apply to the Nursing, RN to BSN Concentration, BS program at SJSU after graduating from the ADN program as a regular progression student.
Major-Specific Graduation Requirements
All courses required in the major require a grade of “C” or better or “Credit” (see admission impaction supplemental criteria for exceptions ). In addition, students must pass background and drug clearances. Policies are posted on The Valley Foundation School of Nursing website.
Students must satisfy all of the major and Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements , which includes unit, GPA, and residency requirements as well as the below identified General Education , American Institutions, Graduation Writing Assessment and Physical Education requirements. Courses that meet Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements are noted with an area designation (see Course Abbreviations ).
Total Units Required (120 units)
The Physical Education Requirement is waived for this major. See the Exceptions for University Graduation Requirements .