Office: Business Tower 350
The Donald and Sally Lucas Graduate School of Business offers the following graduate degree programs:
All of the Lucas School’s business degree programs are accredited by AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
Mission of the Donald and Sally Lucas Graduate School of Business
The Lucas School provides advanced business and professional education to high potential individuals with diverse backgrounds and work experiences. We prepare our graduates to make responsible, personally enriching, and professionally advantageous decisions. The Lucas School’s business programs bring together an interesting mix of full-time and part-time students from a variety of academic, career, and cultural backgrounds. Given SJSU’s Silicon Valley location, students come to the classroom with a wealth of real-world experience, including technical expertise (in engineering or software, for example), and wanting to develop business acumen, advance in managerial positions, or deepen their knowledge base.
The programs are innovative in design and delivery and offer a range of academically challenging and multi-disciplinary opportunities that enable students to improve and keep pace continuously within the dynamic Silicon Valley environment.
- The Master of Business Administration provides advanced management education with the opportunity for a generalist degree. The Lucas MBA programs offer high caliber applied learning in an enriching environment thoroughly integrated with the Silicon Valley Experience. Courses are taught by an optimal faculty mix of academics involved in cutting edge research and professionals with extensive experience in the mosaic of businesses that constitute Silicon Valley. Students are exposed to leading business practices in the classroom and networking opportunities as an integral part of an innovative educational experience. The Lucas MBA programs consist of forty-two semester units including thirty units of core courses and twelve units of elective courses. Within an MBA program, all students complete the same core courses whereas the elective courses are selected depending on the individual’s interests and learning objectives.
- The Early Career MBA is a program tailored for individuals with limited professional work experience (0-5 years). Classes meet on the vibrant San José State University Campus where students have access to a wealth of resources. Courses typically meet evenings and Saturdays in eight-week sessions during the Fall and Spring semesters and five-week sessions during the Summer semester. Students follow a pre-set sequence of core courses and select elective courses depending on their area of interest. An approved three unit Internship may count as one of the elective courses. This unique MBA program offers three different tracks that vary in length and pace:
- Accelerated Track - Designed for individuals who are willing to follow a very intense academic pace and wish to complete their MBA degree in 12 months.
- Full-Time Track - Designed for individuals who are interested in completing their MBA degree in 21-24 months. The full-time track is ideal for international students and complies with all student visa requirements.
- Part-Time Track - Designed for individuals who are working in full-time professional positions and are interested in completing their MBA degree in 33 to 36 months.
- The MBA for Professionals is a Special Session program that is tailored for individuals with extensive professional work experience (5+ years). Offering a high level of flexibility, this program accommodates students with demanding work and life schedules. Classes meet on the vibrant San José State University Campus where students have access to a wealth of resources. The diverse educational and professional backgrounds of the students makes the Silicon Valley Experience for Professionals an integral part of the MBA curriculum. Courses typically meet evenings and Saturdays in eight-week sessions during the Fall and Spring semesters and five-week sessions during the Summer semester, with some courses available online. Students are able to choose and adjust the pace in which they complete their degree. This program can be completed in 2 to 3 years.
- The MS - Accountancy (MSA) program prepares students for careers in public, corporate, and governmental accounting. Students develop and apply an analytics-oriented mindset to audit, tax, advisory and managerial scenarios. Coursework is structured to combine academic learning and accounting internship experience in a well-rounded preparation for careers in professional accounting. The program balances technical study and preparation for the CPA exam with business soft skills needed for recruitment and a career in accounting. The 30-unit program, taught on the SJSU campus, admits both accounting and non-accounting undergraduate majors in a competitive process. Non-accounting undergraduate students have the opportunity to prepare for the program in a 15-unit summer certificate program preceding fall enrollment in the MSA.
- The MS - Taxation (MST) is a Special Session program that offers students technical knowledge, an understanding of tax policies and research and analytical skills development. Study of the tax law is enhanced through discussion of related accounting, legal and financial concepts and issues. The academic calendar is designed around the scheduling needs of working tax professionals. The extensive range of courses allows students flexibility in career specialization. The MST courses are offered on the San José State University Campus.
- The MS - Transportation Management (MSTM) is a Special Session program that provides opportunities for individuals from both technical and non-technical disciplines to obtain advanced specialization in surface transportation management. The program draws on the latest in transportation policy, administration and management concepts from several disciplines, and enables students to develop a fuller understanding of the diverse and sometimes conflicting needs of modern transportation management for better serving their employers, community and society. The degree is available through distance-learning facilities and online video-conferencing.
- The MBA/MS Engineering (with specializations in Systems Engineering and Software Engineering) - is a Special Session Off-Campus accelerated evening sequential degree program is a combined program for engineering professionals who wish to pursue technical and executive management positions.
Two types of certificates are available: Advanced Certificates and Basic Certificates. The description of each certificate program identifies the type of certificate.