May 22, 2024  
2021-2022 Academic Catalog 
2021-2022 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Professional Education Scholastic Regulations

Disqualified students may enroll in Professional Education programs; however, the university, in considering applications for readmission and reinstatement, does not accept 400-series course credit as evidence of qualification for reinstatement.

Students desiring to apply extension credit toward the requirements for any degree or teachers’ credentials must secure approval from the department that is authorizing the reinstatement.

All students enrolling through Professional Education must meet course prerequisites and are bound by all applicable university regulations given in this catalog, or in the most recent Winter Session, Summer Session or Open University schedule of classes.

Information concerning tuition fees, admission and registration policies and procedures, withdrawal and refund policies, grading systems, academic standards and student advisement may be found in this catalog. Regulations concerning the application of Professional Education credit toward bachelor’s degrees and toward residence credit in the university are given elsewhere under Credit for Professional Education. For more information, visit the SJSU’s State Authorization website, or contact

State Authorization for Distance Education

Distance education authorization only impacts prospective students who are interested in completing a SJSU degree or certificate program (S16-17) while simultaneously residing in another state.

States expect institutions to obtain approval for regulated activities that occur in their state. These activities may include but are not limited to online learning, practical experiences, faculty teaching from another state, marketing, and advertising. The requirements as to which activities require authorization, the application processes, and the costs to comply vary greatly from state to state. An institution’s compliance (or lack thereof) can affect its ability to receive federal financial aid.


San José State University is accredited by the Senior College and University Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACSWASC). To view SJSU’s most recent accreditation letter as well as learn more about visits and reports, please visit the Accreditation website.

Resolving a Grievance

Students residing outside of California (while attending San José State University’s (SJSU’s) distance education programs) wishing to resolve a grievance should contact the appropriate office (e.g. Bursar’s Office, Financial Aid Office etc.). If the issue persists, please follow the CSU Internal Complaint Process.

CSU Internal Complaint Process

Prior to filing a complaint with a state agency, see Executive Order No. 1063 for details regarding the complaint requirements and process. If you are a student wishing to file a complaint in your home state, please select the state contact at the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (members list) to file a complaint directly in your state.



Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board certification does not constitute an endorsement of any institution, course or degree program. Such certification merely indicates that certain minimum standards have been met under the rules and regulations of institutional certification as defined in Arkansas Code § 6-61-301.


After exhausting the below CSU Student Internal Complaint Process, Georgia residents may also file a complaint with the State of Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission using the student complaint form.


The following content may be found on the Maryland Higher Education Commission website’s:

  1. Information on registration with the Commission; and,
  2. The process for Maryland students to make complaints.


San José State University is registered with the office pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.


According to the Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR 583-030-0035(18)(c)), after classes begin for a term, an Oregon student who withdraws from a course is eligible for a partial refund through the middle week of the term. Refunds shall be based on unused instructional time and shall be prorated on a weekly basis for schools using a semester calendar. 

Students should attempt to resolve any grievances they may have with their school first. Should attempts to resolve these problems with appropriate school officials fail, or should the student be dissatisfied with the final outcome of the college complaint process, then the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC), can respond to a formal complaint.  Students may contact the Higher Education Coordinating Commission, 3225 25th St. SE, Salem, OR 97302 or by sending an email to Students may also access our complaints web page.


San José State University is authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and meets the requirements and minimum educational standards established for degree-granting institutions under the Degree-Granting Institutions Act. This authorization is subject to periodic review and authorizes San José State University to offer field placement components for specific degree programs. The Council may be contacted for a list of currently authorized programs. Authorization by the Council does not carry with it an endorsement by the Council of the institution or its programs. Any person desiring information about the requirements of the act or the applicability of those requirements to the institution may contact the Council at P.O. Box 43430, Olympia, WA 98504-3430 or by email at

The transferability of credits earned at San José State University is at the discretion of the receiving college, university, or other educational institution. Students considering transferring to any institution should not assume that credits earned in any program of study at San José State University will be accepted by the receiving institution. Similarly, the ability of a degree, certificate, diploma, or other academic credential earned at San José State University to satisfy an admission requirement of another institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution. Accreditation does not guarantee credentials or credits earned at San José State University will be accepted by or transferred to another institution. To minimize the risk of having to repeat coursework, students should contact the receiving institution in advance for evaluation and determination of transferability of credits and/or acceptability of degrees, diplomas, or certificates earned.

The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) has authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint. Visit for information regarding the WSAC complaint process.

Refund Policy

If SJSU plans to be authorized to offer a program in a particular state but does not obtain approval before the term starts, the student’s application fee will be refunded.