Return to: Majors and Programs
The Biomedical Engineering Spartan Accelerated Graduate Education (SAGE) Scholars Program provides students the opportunity to earn their Biomedical Engineering, BS and Biomedical Engineering, MS degrees simultaneously, completing both degrees in five years, rather than the usual six years when completing them individually. The SAGE Scholars Program Coordinator works closely with the students to ensure a seamless transition from undergraduate to graduate status, without students having to file a formal application for admission to the graduate program. Students have the possibility to combine their senior project and MS project/thesis research requirements, enabling them to undertake more in-depth, publishable quality research which in turn better prepares them for PhD programs as well as professional careers. The Biomedical Engineering SAGE Scholars Program offers students intellectual stimulation and growth and the opportunity to strengthen their research competencies by working closely with their research mentors for a longer period of time.
Students interested in pursuing a Chemistry Minor concurrently should contact their advisor.
Summary of Degree Units
|Biomedical Engineering, BS
|Biomedical Engineering, MS
For more information, contact the SAGE Scholars Program Coordinator and Advisor Guna Selvaduray.
All SJSU Biomedical Engineering, BS undergraduates are eligible to apply for, and be admitted to, the Biomedical Engineering SAGE Scholars program if they fulfill the following requirements:
- Completed a minimum of 75 units towards the Biomedical Engineering, BS degree;
- Completed BME 115 , BME 177 , and ENGR 100W with grades of B or better;
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, or GPA of 3.0 or better in the last 60 semester units;
- Have completed all lower-division general education courses and American Institutions courses; and,
- Must not be declared in another major.
Requirements for program continuation and advancement to candidacy in the graduate program, include:
- Meeting every semester with the SAGE Program advisor to plan and track coursework and academic standing, from the time of admission to the SAGE program until graduation;
- Maintain GPA of 3.0 or higher with no individual grade below a C. Students not maintaining these standards will be placed on probation initially, followed by disqualification if the grades are not improved within two semesters; and,
- The proposed graduate program must be approved by the graduate coordinator before the student may be considered a candidate for the MS degree.
- Students are converted to graduate status when they have completed 120 SAGE program-applicable units. The following University Requirements are waived or satisfied with required courses in the major: GE Areas A2, A3, B, C2, and E, SJSU Studies (R, S and V) and Physical Education. Alternate courses that may satisfy these requirements are not counted in the calculation of the 120 SAGE program-applicable units.
Program Requirements (141 units)
Biomedical Engineering, BS (111 units)
Students must satisfy all of the major and Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements , which includes unit, GPA, and residency requirements as well as the below identified General Education , American Institutions, Graduation Writing Assessment, and Physical Education requirements. Courses that meet Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements are noted with an area designation (see Course Abbreviations ).
Major Preparation (45 units)
Major Requirements (48 units)
Biomedical Engineering Required Courses (31 units)
Technical Elective (6 units)
Biomedical Engineering, MS (30 units)
Biomedical Engineering Electives (9-12 units)
Culminating Experience (2-5 units)
Students must complete a written thesis or project report and an oral defense of their thesis or project. Ideally, the culminating experience builds on the foundations laid in the student’s senior design project (BME 198A + 198B ). The candidate may choose either the Plan A (Thesis) or Plan B (Project) option. For either option, the student is required to develop a project proposal in BME 291 . This must be approved by the student’s project advisor and the reading committee at the culmination of BME 291. Once the proposal is approved, the student is required to:
- implement the approved research plan using appropriate methods for the investigation,
- use appropriate statistical techniques for analysis of the data and drawing conclusions,
- discuss the results in light of findings reported by other investigators,
- write a professional report of appropriate length, and
- present it and defend the project to the reading committee.
Culminating Experience Options
Total Units Required (141 units)
The standalone Biomedical Engineering, BS program requires the completion of BME 130 , 178 , 174 , and 117 . Students satisfy these courses in this SAGE Scholars Program by completing - respectively - BME 210 , 272 , 274 , and either 217 or 254 . These 12 credits are considered to count toward both the graduate and undergraduate degrees, thus allowing SAGE students to meet the minimum unit requirements for both degrees.
Return to: Majors and Programs