Office: Art Building 120
Chang Sik Kim
Yoon Chung Han
Virginia SanFratello, Chair
Our Department prepares students for design in the real world, not just in the abstract environment of the classrooms. The curriculum aspires to give students both conceptual and practical experience, so that once they graduate, they are armed with skills that could be adapted for the unpredictability of everyday life.
The department offers five areas of focus: Design Studies; Animation & Illustration; Graphic Design; Industrial Design; Interior Design. Each program is led by accomplished faculty members with years of professional achievements; most of whom, in addition to teaching, are currently working in their respective fields which equips them to provide students with the most updated information from the professional world.
The department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
Professional Design Programs
The Department of Design offers professional programs in Animation & Illustration, Graphic, Industrial, and Interior Design. The curricula of the four programs combine the aesthetic sensitivity and technical knowledge necessary to function creatively in design, business and industry. Internships in design offices are integral to all four programs.
Admission Requirements for Animation & Illustration, Graphic, Industrial, and Interior Design
- Meet university admission requirements; attain upper division standing by completing 60 transferable semester units or 90 transferable quarter units prior to enrollment.
- Admission to the BFA in Animation and Illustration is determined at the time students apply for admission to the university. There is no internal transfer into this program. Students admitted to the BA Design Studies may be admitted to the BFA in Graphic or Interior Design or the BS in Industrial Design on a space available basis after successfully completing required portfolio reviews in their first two years of study.
Portfolio reviews are held each semester for the following semester. Instructions are available in the Design department office. The following courses are required as preparation for the portfolio review.
- Animation & Illustration: ANI 10 , ANI 11 , ANI 13 , ANI 21 , ANI 31 , ANI 71 , ANI 101 , ANI 111 , ANI 121 .
- Graphic Design: ANI 11 , DSGD 63 , DSGD 83 , DSGD 99 , DSGD 100 , DSGD 104 .
- Industrial Design: DSID 21 , DSID 22 , DSID 31 , DSID 32 , DSID 32A .
- Interior Design: DSIT 5 , DSIT 10 , DSIT 29 , DSIT 33 , DSIT 34 , DSIT 83 .
CoursesAnimationDesignGraphic DesignIndustrial DesignInterior DesignPage: 1