Office: Duncan Hall 254
David K. Bruck
Sabine A. Rech
Shelley Cargill, Chair
J. Brandon White
Nino Alexander Payumo
As leaders in the education of a highly trained and diverse scientific workforce, our mission is to provide a dynamic educational experience by engaging students in hands-on, inquiry-based learning activities at the bench and in the field. Through these experiences our students will gain a conceptual and experiential understanding of the biological sciences spanning from molecules to ecosystems.
Our Program goals are to:
- Serve the diverse student population of our region.
- Educate students to be intellectually agile and technologically proficient.
- Provide students with intensive, rigorous laboratory and field experiences within the context of their regular coursework.
- Create individualized mentoring opportunities and state-of-the-art learning experiences within the context of our faculty research programs.
- Foster creativity, a sound theoretical foundation, and the ability to communicate effectively and interact cooperatively.
- Make substantial contributions to the scientific community through our research efforts and that of our students.
Students may apply for the honors program in Biology in BS - Biological Sciences (all concentrations). Students wishing to complete the honors program must:
- Have a GPA of 3.5 or higher in courses required in the major,
- Have an overall SJSU GPA of 3.0 or higher, and
- Complete BIOL 186 , BOT 186 , or ZOOL 186 - Senior Thesis .
Senior thesis courses involve the student in the completion of a research project under the direct supervision of a faculty member. As such, the research project must be on a mutually agreed upon topic. It is recommended that the student submit a proposal for research to the faculty member and have that proposal approved in the last semester of his/her junior year. The student is required to present the results of the research in written form and as a seminar.
CoursesBiological SciencesBotanyEntomologyMicrobiologyZoologyPage: 1