May 23, 2024  
2020-2021 Academic Catalog 
2020-2021 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Materials Science and Engineering Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors and Programs by College

Students enrolled in good standing in an engineering or science major may complete a Minor in Materials Science and Engineering, offered by the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering . To be awarded the Minor, which appears on the official diploma and transcript, the student must complete 12 units, all of which must be outside the required courses in the major. The 12 units cannot be counted on both the Minor Form and the Major Form. Either MATE 25  or MATE 115  (or both) must be included in the Minor. The student, in consultation with a Materials Engineering academic advisor, should select 12 units in either the electronic materials option, the structural materials option, or the general materials option. Prerequisites for each course must be met unless the student receives instructor permission to waive them.

University Graduation Requirements

To be awarded a minor, at least 12 units of coursework must be completely distinct and separate from the coursework in the major, and coursework for the minor must include a minimum of 6 upper-division units (University Policy S16-4). Minor preparation or support courses do not count toward the 12 distinct units. Of the coursework for the minor, at least 6 units completed in residence at SJSU. The minimum aggregate GPA for all coursework required for the minor must be at least 2.0.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors and Programs by College