Sep 23, 2023
Dual Admission Program Between SJSU and Evergreen Valley Community College
The Nursing, Concurrent Enrollment Program (CEP) ADN to BSN (formerly Nursing, Integrated Community College Pathway, BS (ICCP)) is a joint program between Evergreen Valley Community College (EVCC) and The Valley Foundation School of Nursing in which students are concurrently enrolled in both. The CEP program allows students to complete an Associate Degree in Nursing, apply and sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Nurses (NCLEX-RN), and complete post licensure nursing content and upper general education courses to earn a BS Nursing.
Summary of Degree Units
|University Graduation Requirements
|EVC Lower Division Transfer Units
|NCLEX - RN Examination
Students enrolled in the CEP follow the Concurrent Enrollment Program ADN to BSN roadmap designed to satisfy the Associate Degree in Nursing from EVC and the Nursing BS requirements in 5 semesters or only 2.5 years of enrollment at SJSU.
- Semester one requires students to take one nursing course at SJSU and 9 units of the EVCC Associate Degree in Nursing Program.
- Semester two requires students to take one nursing course at SJSU and 9 units of the EVCC Associate Degree in Nursing Program
- Semester three requires students to take two SJSU courses (one SJSU nursing course and one SJSU elective course), and 9 units of the EVCC Associate Degree in Nursing Program.
- Semester four requires students to take 9 units of the EVCC Associate Degree in Nursing Program and two SJSU courses (one SJSU nursing course and one Upper Division GE Course (Area V), and will complete any other remaining Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements .
- Students completing semester four will apply and pass the NCLEX-RN examination before entering into the final semester of the CEP program.
- Semester five continues with four SJSU nursing courses.
Failure to Progress
The CEP program is a rigorous curriculum that will require strict criterion for participation. For students who enter the program the following criteria has been agreed upon.
- Students who fall out of progression within the Associate Degree Program will defer to EVCC’s progression and disqualification policies. Students who are disqualified from EVCC are automatically disqualified from SJSU’s CEP program.
- Students who do not pass the NCLEX-RN examination during the interim semester will have the option to move out of the CEP program and into the existing Nursing, RN to BSN Concentration, BSN program at SJSU when licensure is obtained. The impact to the student may include additional semesters of course work depending on when the student obtains licensure.
- Students who fail any SJSU nursing courses during semesters 1 thru 4 of the CEP program will be moved into the existing regular EVCC program and removed from the CEP. Students can apply to the Nursing, RN to BSN Concentration, BSN program at SJSU after graduating from the ADN program as a regular progression student.
Major-Specific Graduation Requirements
All courses required in the major require a grade of “C” or better or “Credit” (see admission impaction supplemental criteria for exceptions ). In addition, students must pass background and drug clearances. Policies are posted on The Valley Foundation School of Nursing website.
Students must satisfy all of the major and Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements , which includes unit, GPA, and residency requirements as well as the below identified General Education , American Institutions, Graduation Writing Assessment, and Physical Education requirements. Courses that meet Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements are noted with an area designation (see Course Abbreviations ).
Upper Division General Education (3 units)
Of the 9 units required by the university, 6 units may be satisfied by coursework outlined below. Consult with the major advisor for details.
Recommend completion before transferring from a community college or any university. The American Institutions (AI) Requirement (US123) is normally satisfied with the completion of General Education Area D. Consult your major advisor to confirm you have satisfied the requirement.
The Physical Education Requirement (2 units) is recommended to be completed before transferring from a community college or any university. All SJSU undergraduate students, regardless of major, have an opportunity to expand their knowledge and skills in physical activities. To accommodate students’ needs and interests, the university offers a diverse selection of activity courses.
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement
At SJSU, students must pass a Writing in the Disciplines (100W) course with a grade of C or better (C- not accepted) to meet graduation requirements. For this major, the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) is satisfied by a course in the major.
Major Preparation (90 units)
Evergreen Community College Coursework (70 units)
Transferred from EVCC Associate Degree in Nursing Program.
External Exam Credit (20 units)
NCLEX - RN examination
Students admitted to the program will receive 20 units of credit for passage of the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) for Registered Nurses.
Major Requirements (24 units)
University Electives (3 units)
Total Units Required (120 units)