Dec 03, 2023
The Office of Undergraduate Education sponsors the Interdisciplinary Studies, BA (formerly Special Major). The Interdisciplinary Studies major is designed for situations in which no existing SJSU undergraduate degree adequately accommodates academic professional aims. Students who complete the major shall be able to demonstrate the characteristics of “intentional learners” who can adapt to new environments, integrate knowledge from different sources, and continue learning throughout their life.
The Interdisciplinary Studies major is an individually designed, interdisciplinary course of study leading to a BA that gives a student who has a specific educational objective the opportunity to accomplish that goal. It is not to be used to bypass normal graduation requirements or projected programs of the University, nor to substitute for a major in which a student is having academic difficulty.
Program Learning Outcomes
The proposed course of study must be a coherent program organized around an academic theme. Students who complete the major shall be able to demonstrate: “the ability to analyze an issue or problem, integrating at least two disciplinary perspectives.” In addition, students identify two or more student learning outcomes related to their specific areas of study in consultation with a major faculty advisor. They demonstrate their attainment of the learning outcomes through a portfolio or senior project completed in a capstone course.
Applicants must have both a cumulative and SJSU GPA of at least 2.75, at least sixty units earned (upper division standing), and at least one year of academic work still to be completed to meet minimum degree requirements. Interdisciplinary Studies majors are considered on a case-by-case basis. Approval is based on the academic merit of the proposed course of study, the applicant’s proposed rationale and potential for successful completion of the program, and the ability of the university to support the proposed program. Students apply for consideration for the major through the Office of Undergraduate Education .
Students must satisfy all of the major and Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements , which includes unit, GPA, and residency requirements as well as the below identified General Education , American Institutions, Graduation Writing Assessment, and Physical Education requirements. Courses that meet Undergraduate University Graduation Requirements are noted with an area designation (see Course Abbreviations ).
Core Lower Division General Education (39 units)
Courses that meet GE Areas A1, A2, A3, B4, or F must be passed with a “C-” or better to meet the requirement. Consult with a major advisor for details.
Upper Division General Education (9 units)
American Institutions (6 units)
Complete one 6-unit sequence of American Institutions (US123) courses, which also satisfies GE Area D. Students may also satisfy the American Institutions Requirement with other courses, but these may not satisfy other GE areas.
The American Studies (AMS 1A /AMS 1B ; 12 units) and Humanities Honors (HUM 1A /HUM 1B /HUM 2A /HUM 2B ; 24 units) sequences satisfy the American Institutions Requirement and additional GE Areas (see course descriptions for details).
Consult with a major advisor to select the appropriate sequence.
African American Studies (6 units)
Asian American Studies (6 units)
Chicana and Chicano Studies (6 units)
U.S. History and Government (6 units)
Complete One US1: US History Course
Complete One US23: US Constitution and California Government Course
Physical Education (2 units)
All SJSU undergraduate students, regardless of major, have an opportunity to expand their knowledge and skills in physical activities. To accommodate students’ needs and interests, the university offers a diverse selection of activity courses .
Major Requirements (40 units minimum)
- Students must formally request admission to the Interdisciplinary Studies major program through the Office of Undergraduate Education .
- The student must cite academic and professional objectives and describe the nature of the proposed major. The student must have at least one year of academic work still to be completed to meet the minimum degree requirements.
- The student must have both cumulative and an SJSU GPA of at least 2.75.
Before, during, and after the initial consultation with the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education , student must complete the following:
- A written reflective statement that includes:
- description of the proposed major;
- discussion of why existing majors are not suitable;
- a reflection on what it means to the student to be an “educated person” and how this major will help the student to become one;
- academic, professional, and personal objectives; and,
- how does your Interdisciplinary Studies major help you to meet your academic, professional, and personal objectives?
Note: Students requesting academic accommodations due to disability-related limitations are encouraged to register with the Accessible Education Center as soon as possible. Register online at How to Register With AEC: tinyurl.com/AECreg.
- A major course of study plan that includes:
- 40-45 total units in the major;
- 24 units in residence at SJSU; and,
- 30-40 units in upper division.
- Student must meet with department advisor(s) and have a suggested major advisor (Undergraduate Education does not assign advisors, students pick major advisor).
- Completion of the major course of study plan in consultation with the suggested major advisor and other departments involved in the program;
- Preparation of the Interdisciplinary Studies Major worksheet and evaluation of General Education and graduation requirements in consultation with the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education . Approval of Interdisciplinary Studies Major Worksheet; and,
- Approval of modifications in Course of Study by Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education .
- If Interdisciplinary Studies Major is approved, students must complete the following:
- A Change of Major Form;
- Major Form (will be completed between the student, department advisor(s), and Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education );
- Application for Graduation ; and,
- Forms must be completed and submitted at least 1 year prior to graduation.
Diploma and transcript will contain the title (Interdisciplinary Studies) followed by the exact title of the major listed in the Major Form.
University Electives (27 units)
Total Units Required (120 units)