A graduate of this program is prepared for advanced nursing practice with a concentration as a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP).
Requirements for Admission
Candidates must meet all the university admission requirements . Students can be admitted in either classified or conditionally classified standing.
The FNP option is offered in Special Session and only if student enrollment is adequate. After earning a baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited program and obtaining San José State University admission, one may enter the master’s program with a major in Nursing. Graduates of non-accredited baccalaureate programs must take prior coursework that will be assessed to determine requisite content and equivalency to baccalaureate degree requirements. Programs of study for the MS degree with a major in Nursing are based on this assessment. A California RN license is required.
Requirements for Conditionally Classified Standing
Students whose records show certain deficiencies, but whose professional achievements indicate a promise of success, may be admitted on a conditional basis. To qualify for classified standing, the conditions must be met. The appropriate form will be completed by the Nursing Program Graduate Coordinator upon receipt of documentation.
Registered nurses with baccalaureate degrees in disciplines other than nursing may be accepted conditionally such that a specialized course of study is required prior to taking Master’s in Nursing courses. There are a minimum of four undergraduate courses that need to be completed with a grade of “B” or better. A California RN license is required.
Applicants from countries in which the native language is not English must achieve a minimum English-language proficiency test score as indicated on the Graduate Program Test Requirements webpage at GAPE.
Requirements for Classified Standing
General university requirements for admission in classified standing or for moving from conditionally classified to classified standing for the master’s degree are outlined in this catalog. The University requires that all graduate students complete the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) as a condition for advancement to candidacy and for conversion from conditional to classified standing. For graduate courses that meet the GWAR, please refer to the Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations (GAPE) website at www.sjsu.edu/gape. In addition, the following School of Nursing requirements apply:
- Completion of an accredited baccalaureate program in nursing with an upper-division major comparable to that offered at San José State University. Applicants who have completed other curricula or who have deficiencies will be considered individually and may be required to enroll in designated courses.
- Applicants must present a GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 60 units of the undergraduate nursing major.
- Completion of an introductory research course.
- Evidence of licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the State of California.
- Completion of The Valley Foundation School of Nursing application with all attachments.
- A statement of purpose that outlines the applicant’s goals and objectives in seeking a degree.
- Evidence of having met the health requirements of the school.
- Current certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and evidence of professional liability insurance and health insurance.
- Evidence of knowledge and skills in the following areas: physical and psychosocial assessment skills developed to the level that the applicant can perform a complete history and physical exam on a well adult of either gender within one hour. Work completed to make up any of the above deficiencies will not be counted as part of the required units for the MS - Nursing.
- Application for the Family Nurse Practitioner Program requires an interview.
Requirements for Advancement to Graduate Candidacy
Advancement to candidacy for the MS - Nursing program requires that the applicant has been granted classified standing and has removed any deficiencies involved. In addition, the candidate must have:
- Earned at least a “B” (3.0) average in a minimum of 9 letter-graded semester units of 100-level and/or 200-level coursework completed while in graduate standing at San José State University and in any coursework completed while in graduate standing at other institutions before enrollment here.
- Classified standing.
- Planned a proposed program of study approved by the Nursing Graduate Coordinator and approved by GAPE.
Requirements for Graduation
University Graduation Requirements
Students must complete all residency, curriculum, unit, GPA, and culminating experience requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the Graduate Policies and Procedures .
MS - Nursing Graduation Requirements
Classified standing in Nursing or the permission of the instructor is required for all nursing courses listed.
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement
At SJSU, students must pass the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) .