The MUP program trains skilled professionals who graduate with a strong education in general planning practice and theory as well as specialized training in planning subfields. The program allows students to develop professional skills in an area of specialization such as Affordable Housing and Community Development Finance, Applications of Technology in Planning, Community Design and Development, Environmental Planning, Real Estate Development, or Transportation and Land Use Planning.
Graduates leave the program prepared with practical skills and theoretical knowledge that they can employ in jobs working to improve the quality of life and economic opportunity for all residents of urban regions as well as improving the quality of the natural environment.
A special mission of the program is to provide planning education opportunities for a diverse student population, including working students who prefer to attend the program on a part-time basis.
The MUP is an accredited professional degree program nationally recognized by the Planning Accreditation Board.
Information about the program and important dates can be obtained at the Department of Urban and Regional Planning website: www.sjsu.edu/urbanplanning.
Candidates must meet all the university admission requirements . To complete your application, you must submit materials through Cal State Apply. Applicants from countries in which the native language is not English must achieve a minimum English-language proficiency test score as indicated on the Graduate Program Test Requirements webpage at GAPE.
Materials to be submitted through Cal State Apply:
- Fill out the online application form in Cal State Apply. The Master of Urban Planning (MUP) program at SJSU is listed on the online application form under Urban Planning.
- Domestic Students - Submit one set of official transcripts from all higher educational institutions attended (even those where you did not get a degree) to the Graduate Admissions Office. Do not send transcripts to the Department of Urban & Regional Planning.
- International Students - International students are advised to closely follow guidelines for submitting transcripts and any other supporting documents, including demonstrating competence in English, available on the Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluation website.
- A Statement of Purpose (approximately 1.5 single-spaced typed pages) that indicates how a graduate degree will help you to achieve your career objectives and what motivates you to pursue graduate education in urban planning or geography. This can be the same statement as included in your online application. This statement should indicate which semester you are applying for and your current contact information, including mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address. If you have previously applied to the program and are re-applying, please indicate for which semester you previously applied. A well-written, clearly structured, spell-checked, grammar-checked and carefully proofread Statement of Purpose will make a favorable impression on our Admissions Committee members who read them very carefully. As well, please submit your CV/résumé with your statement.
- Three original signed letters of recommendation from university instructors who taught you or supervisors who managed you in paid or volunteer work. It is highly recommended that at least one letter come from a university instructor. If this is not possible, ask your letter writers to include an evaluation of your writing and analysis skills.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required for applicants with an undergraduate cumulative GPA below 3.0. Original scores from the testing office must be submitted directly by ETS (the code for SJSU is 4687).
Requirements for Advancement to Candidacy
Students must complete all university requirements for advancement to candidacy for the master’s degree as outlined in the Graduate Policies and Procedures section. Candidacy includes the successful completion of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) .
Requirements for Graduation
University Graduation Requirements
Students must complete all residency, curriculum, unit, GPA, and culminating experience requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the Graduate Policies and Procedures .
Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement
At SJSU, students must pass the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) .